Why don’t we put honey in coffee?
Coffee is a beverage that millions of people around the world depend on to start their days. For some, it is the ultimate go-to when they need to refocus and find their groove. While some people take their coffee without any sweeteners, there are those who would like a little taste of sweetness in their coffee. So why don’t we put honey in coffee?
You might be wondering, “Isn’t honey an excellent natural sweetener that is good for you?” The answer is yes. Honey is an excellent sweetener with amazing health benefits. It is a natural sweetener that helps to boost energy levels and can also help fight against various diseases.
However, we have to be careful with honey, especially when it comes to coffee. Putting honey in coffee is not ideal for several reasons. The first reason is that coffee is highly acidic, and it can cause the honey to break down and lose its beneficial properties. This means that putting honey in coffee can cause the coffee’s bitterness to overpower the honey’s taste.
Another reason why we don’t put honey in coffee is that it can lead to an unbalanced flavor profile. The flowery sweetness of honey can be overwhelming when mixed with coffee’s earthy bitterness. The result can be a taste that is not what you were expecting.
How to put honey in coffee?
Despite the reasons we have outlined above, there is still a way to add honey to your coffee without ruining its taste or health benefits. One way to do it is to use honey as a double replacement for both sugar and cream. This means that you can add a tablespoon of honey to make your coffee sweet and creamy at the same time.
Another approach you could take is to add honey to your coffee when the drink is still brewing. Place one tablespoon of honey in the coffee grounds and mix well before brewing. When the coffee is done, you will have a sweet and robust cup of coffee that has the right balance of flavors.
Benefits of using honey in coffee
We have already established that honey is an excellent natural sweetener with numerous health benefits. Here are some of the benefits that come with using honey in coffee:
– A natural sweetener: Honey is one of the most natural sweeteners you can use. Unlike white sugar, honey has beneficial nutrients and antioxidants.
– Energy booster: Honey is loaded with glucose, which is a source of instant energy. This makes honey an excellent option for those who need a quick pick-me-up in the morning or during the day.
– Digestive aid: Honey is rich in enzymes that can help aid digestion. If you experience digestive issues after drinking coffee, then honey can be an excellent remedy.
– Anti-bacterial: Honey is a natural antimicrobial. It can help fight against bacteria that might have found their way into your coffee.
The best honey for coffee
If you have decided to add honey to your coffee, then you need to choose the right type of honey. There are different kinds of honey in the market, with each having its distinct flavor profile and health benefits. To get the best honey for your coffee, consider the following:
– Raw honey: This is the best type of honey for coffee, as it is unprocessed and has not been heated or pasteurized. Raw honey retains all its beneficial nutrients and enzymes.
– Local honey: Honey that is obtained from your local area tends to have a unique flavor profile that complements the flavor of your coffee.
– Manuka honey: This type of honey is known for its medicinal properties. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that can help your body fight infections.
In conclusion, honey is an excellent natural sweetener with numerous health benefits. However, putting honey in coffee is not always ideal, as it can lead to an unbalanced flavor profile and cause the honey to lose its beneficial properties. Nevertheless, honey can be an excellent addition to coffee when used as a double replacement for both sugar and cream. If you decide to add honey to your coffee, remember to choose the right type of honey to get the best flavor and health benefits.